Sign in to follow this  
Eldryth

Big Changes Coming To Hearthstone In April

Blizzard just announced some big changes to make Heartstone easier to get into- and it's completely optional. The current Play Mode is being split into two modes. Wild mode is exactly like the current game. Standard, on the other hand, is the same- except you're limited to Basic, Classic, and the two latest expansions and Adventures (at launch, will be Tournament, Blackrock, League of Explorers, and a new expansion).

The reason is simple- it makes it easier to get into the game without collecting all the major cards from all sets, and avoids power creep since you can't just keep taking the best of each set. If you want to keep playing like now (which will unfortunately keep getting more and more unbalanced- but that's the nature of TCGs), Wild mode will let you do that, and you can even still do Wild Ranked and your quests that way.

Now, the bad part. With this change, Expansions and Adventures that aren't current for Standard will be removed from the store- although you can craft the cards (even the Adventure ones that you can't currently). The only exception is that if you own at least one wing from an adventure, you can still buy the rest. This means that if you don't have at least one wing of Naxxramas by the time this goes live in April, you're locked out for good. I don't believe this will affect me (iirc I got the first wing free for logging in when it launched?), but you can miss out on that content for good. A lot of people are asking for this to be changed though, so hopefully they'll listen to that feedback.

This is probably what I needed to really get into Hearthstone. Was always worried about getting enough cards to catch up, but this makes that more reasonable, at least.

Yeah, my experience as a brand new player has been rough. If I want wins, I have to stick to Play to have a chance of getting matched with others like me with the occasional seasoned player with all the good cards. In ranked, I can't break 20. Game after game is against decks with so many powerful Epic and Legendary cards.

Yeah, my experience as a brand new player has been rough. If I want wins, I have to stick to Play to have a chance of getting matched with others like me with the occasional seasoned player with all the good cards. In ranked, I can't break 20. Game after game is against decks with so many powerful Epic and Legendary cards.

I totally agree.  I stopped playing over a year ago but I logged back in a couple days ago.  It's pretty frustrating to play someone that throws out 6-8 legendary cards in a game.  After playing a few games like that I start to remember why I stopped playing.

I've had a bit more time to play, I've acquired more cards to provide better opportunities, and I've played Ranked quite a bit more. The same results as before. The only times I win are when the opponent is not pulling out a Legendary cards. If one (or two, or three, or four...) comes out, no matter how well I'm doing, it/they completely change the tide of the game and leave me with no way to counter. And I still only have one Legendary, which is the Warlock's.

Don't give up Kev and ackernackt--the new changes to Hearthstone (soon?) will favor the newer players, or at least give you a chance to catch up because many of the older legendaries won't be valid in Standard mode.  It may seem like all legendaries are super wonderful but that is not the case--a lot of them are worse than the common or rare cards (Millhouse Manastorm, anyone?  Or Nat Pagle?).  If you keep doing your dailies regularly, you will acquire a lot of cards for free (no need to spend any money, really) and there are a lot of good, competitive decks out there, like Warlock Zoo, that don't use any legendaries and very few epics.  If you don't mind netdecking that can help you to get started (you will have to "make it your own" by modifying it to the cards you own anyway).  I would be happy to search out a deck or two to recommend if you like.  

I have a couple decks I really enjoy, like my Shaman Totem/Mech deck.  I really like the mech cards so I've been exclusively buying those hoping to get the Boom Legendary some day.  The few good decks I have are great for normal play, but in Ranked I just keep running into the same scenario over and over once I get to Rank 20 or 19.  Things are going well for me, but a tide-changing Legendary gets played and I cannot recover.  Or, I manage to nullify a Legendary (turn it into a frog or something similar), and then out pops another...and then another.  But I do understand not all Legendary cards are like that, I just wish I would see more of the less than helpful Legendaries be used against me.  :)

I'll look up the Warlock Zoo, I'm not familiar with it.