MrClockmakerSir

Problems With Dungeons

The current state of the game pushes people towards specific dungeons, and I wonder if that hasn't already harmed the guild. There's nothing inherently wrong with dungeons. The trouble is the numbers. If there is exactly 5,10,15, 20, etc folks interested in running them, then everything works out great. Any number not divisible by 5 means folks get left out and/or ignored. Let me make clear that I am NOT one of the folks left out or ignored. I CHOOSE not to run any dungeons, therefore this does not apply to me. But each night I see folks asking for more people to join them in a dungeon, and I see no replies. I am of no help to these people due to my computer system, as well as other reasons. Yet seeing folks left out saddens me. This was supposed to be the INCLUSIVE MMO, not another typical divisive mess like so many others.

I'm not here to complain. I seek solutions. So I have some questions for everyone:

#1) What sorts of activities can be done as a guild in this game, where specific numbers don't matter as much as they do in Dungeons?

#2) What do YOU enjoy doing most with a large group?

#3) What have you NOT been able to do that you would like to do, because you had no group to help you?

#4) What sounds like so much fun in-game that you would immediately stop what you are doing to be a part of if you were logged in?

#5) What have we not yet done as a guild that we should have?

Recently, Desse asked how much fun it would be to create a zerg of identical Mesmers in WvWvW. Her question resulted in great discussion, action, and hilarity. The end result is something that can be done infinitely without any restrictions whatsoever in numbers. This is the sort of ideas and answers I'd like to see here.

I greatly look forward to your answers, and I hope to see many. Don't feel obligated to answer all of these, just whatever comes to mind. I ask for you to think broadly and be creative in your answers. This guild is full of creative and talented people, so lets put our heads together and see what happens. After I get some responses I'll give a few answers of my own.

Totally understand where you're coming from. I feel your concern as well. It also breaks my heart when I see someone in the guild wanting to run a dungeon, and worse still when I also want to run that dungeon but can't due to time-constraints. On the flip-side, I've also been in the situation of trying to get a group together but being unable to assemble it well. I've mused over how to fix this, but scheduling is an answer that doesn't fit in my case. My weekdays are practically non-existent in terms of free-time, and my weekends are putty that often gets overtaken by homework. I'm one of those that really wants to do dungeons, but often can't simply because there isn't enough consecutive free-time available to me.

Which is precisely why I relish the big "do random stuff groups" that I sometimes see in The MoB. Deep down I still wish I were doing dungeons because I love the challenge and rewards they provide, but even DEEPER down I love a big MoB zerg that's like "okay, let's go places, conquer stuff, DOLYAK!"

With that spiel out of the way, here are my responses to your questions:

#1) What sorts of activities can be done as a guild in this game, where specific numbers don't matter as much as they do in Dungeons?

Some activities that can be done are SPvP and Keg Brawl. I'm not sure how many people know what Keg Brawl is (or WHERE it is), but it's basically PvP done football style... weird ice-football style. I'm not sure if it's possible to get the guild into the SAME match(es), but the system works similar to SPvP, so although there are some limits, those limits are mitigated somewhat by a system that fills slots with other players the same way SPvP works.

For other options that personally interest me, see the next section.

Regarding what I enjoy, World PvE and WvW. Jumping puzzles also, though this is subjective and depends on the puzzle and group willingness (understandably, there are some people that despise jumping puzzles). World PvE wasn't something I thought would be that fun with a group of more than 5, but the Orr zerg of several days ago proved me wrong. The nice thing is it had a side-benefit of helping people with completion goals and such. Come to think of it, there are some people that are wanting certain areas in Orr done for reasons other than completion. During the Orr zerg, I heard someone say they were hoping a certain area was cleared so they could get Karma gear from the vendor. Sadly, the zerg was starting to dissipate by this point so we didn't have the numbers to take over the Temple of Grenth (it's a difficult boss fight). However, I wouldn't be surprised if there are many people that want access to some PvE areas that would need a group to do so. Heck, I myself would be interested in taking over Temple of Balthazar (in the Straits of Devastation) in order to by myself some Obsidian Shards with karma. Even if I don't get anything major, I get to kill stuff with The MoB, and random loot comes along the way anyway (money is always good =D ).

#3) What have you NOT been able to do that you would like to do, because you had no group to help you?

Hmm... aside from dungeons, there are a few things. Pretty much any group event that I've come across has been that way. One time I found a group event in Iron Marches that was practically hidden in the northwest part of the zone. I actually tried to solo it. I did fairly well, taking down a Champion mob... until he turned into a super boss similar to that blasted fire elemental from the Metrica Province. Sadly, these events are a little hard to do because they are not always available. However, I wouldn't mind camping a low-level character there to watch for the event cycle to start up in order to do an event. This is something we could do for ANY meta events that people want to do.

Also, I know a group event that can be triggered in Ashford. *Grin*

Also, as I mentioned before, Temple of Balthazar. Frankly, I think doing any and all of those temple things in Orr would be great fun. =D

#4) What sounds like so much fun in-game that you would immediately stop what you are doing to be a part of if you were logged in?

MOB ZERGS!* :D :D :D :D :D :D

*(assuming I wouldn't have to drop a dungeon group, of course. That would be kind of mean).

Meta-event fests. Seriously, meta events are fun, though admittedly hard to work around. The blasted Shadow Behemoth barely comes up before it completes, as the entire zone rushes it. Still, there's other meta events that don't dissipate quite as swiftly.

I am glad you brought this up...

Potential activities:

WvWvW . Including the purple power zerg

Zone clears

meta event runs

What I like?

See above

What have I not been able to do?

Nothing. I am always on mumble, and the website. If I want to do it, I ask people.

What would I drop everything for?

Anything with mob'ers. The bigger the group, the more likely I will drop everything. Heck I even made a purple mesmer that I didn't want to make... Just to be with guildies.

What Have we not yet done?

PLEASE TELL ME!

I joined this community looking for like minded people who could share one of the games I currently enjoy. Many of you have heard me talk about a lot of the things my brother and I have duoed. However there are things we can't duo. Things that take too long to duo, and to be honest things that are more fun as a large group.

---

- WvWvW is a huge one. Yes there are groups... but if we are all in Mumble together those groups can stick together and MoB it up. This was my first experience with MoB and it made me glad to have joined up.

- PvP (numbers matter a bit more here. However we can jump in to an empty BG, fill it with MoBbers and go.

- Zerg a zone. Especially with the higher zones this is very doable. The focus needs to be more on events, less on things like vistas etc. Grabbing them as we run by is okay, but can't hold for them. Running through together and zerging down some of the hard events is fun.

- Hanging out in Mumble and making friends.

- WvWvW

- Casual, lighthearted sPvP

- For me this isn't an applicable discussion. For me it's dungeons, and that's the small group thing we're steering clear of

- Zerg WvWvW or All MoB sPvP hot joins

- Haven't been around long enough to answer this one.

-----

All that said I'd like to volunteer to lead some of these zergs. I really enjoy hanging out with people in Mumble and cracking jokes. Doing casual fun stuff like zerging a zone, or even WvWvW is a blast. I'm down to build up groups if I'm on and there is interest.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.