Gicker

Why So Down On Mesmer?

Just curious why people are so down on mesmers? I have one, mind you it's a lowbie, but I'm having fun with it. Is it because the damage output is so low? I can see why people might be unenthused about them, seeing how you really don't get to see much effort of how your boons and debuffs affect your enemies and allies really, but I certainly feel like I contribute when I'm in a group, and I like the challenge aspect of combat as a mesmer compared to my warrior who kills everything in like 3 seconds or less, and doesn't really have to run away.

Just wondering what experiences people have had with mesmers and at what level, and why you do or don't like them.

Gicks

My biggest complaint is that the illusions are 'per opponent'. When one opponent is dead, a second one could be attacking me that doesn't have any illusions to distract them.

Other than that, my mesmer seemed to struggle with survivability a lot with just weapon skills. Whereas my Guardian and my Elementalist can hold their own with weapon skills and a single healing power. Maybe that is due to the low damage output I was seeing.

That aside, I like staff mesmer.

As a warrior the single hardest opponent I have come across in WvW is the mesmer. The clones have to many hit points. Stealth and clones when down make it hard to kill them. I fought one mesmer 1 on 1 for over 10 min until I finally got him.

Mesmers don't seem to have a high damage output, but they do have a lot of escapes. Mesmers are the worst to chase down and trap. Thieves are bad as well, but Mesmers with their illusions are a pain.

My biggest complaint is that the illusions are 'per opponent'. When one opponent is dead, a second one could be attacking me that doesn't have any illusions to distract them.

Other than that, my mesmer seemed to struggle with survivability a lot with just weapon skills. Whereas my Guardian and my Elementalist can hold their own with weapon skills and a single healing power. Maybe that is due to the low damage output I was seeing.

That aside, I like staff mesmer.

My mesmer is only level 10 but I don't like that I can't create clones unless I have a target. I don't like that they disappear when the target dies. I'm sure there's some balancing reason behind it but me no likey! >:(

i don't know...i agree with most of the recent posts in that the mesmer is cool. on the other hand, i dropped my elementalist like a bowel-movement after a mexican buffet.

LOL

I have had no desire to play either the ele or the mes

i like my ele dagger/dagger as well, love ride the lightning, i have not even unlocked alot of utilities yet but i think it is fun. wont be as fun as my guardian but you need a break from your main every now and then :)

i like my ele dagger/dagger as well, love ride the lightning, i have not even unlocked alot of utilities yet but i think it is fun. wont be as fun as my guardian but you need a break from your main every now and then :)

You do...? *looks at his character slots and sees level 80 main, two alts (levels 2 and 4) and two empty slots not yet created*

Me too! :D I can't say about Mesmer; I haven't had enough time to get used to her skills yet, but I expect that with some practice she would be OK to play. Evidently Mesmers are really good in sPvP.

Treat your Illusions as decoys and bombs that you can detonate at will. I only watch for whether the Dots indicating I have Illusions up are filled and don't bother looking at their HP bars anymore. That really helped me when I changed my mindset from managing them and keeping them out for "more damage," because really, Shattering them is more effective and useful. Unless you have a Phantasm build, which I've never tried, but I'm happy with my Clone-Making-Machine build that I've been running, thanks to helpful advice from other Mesmers and this video that now allows me to take on larger groups of mobs on my own in Orr:

Phantasms are the big damage doers of your Illusions, but they only attack at the initial summon and then every 6 seconds. I typically use it first, then a skill Clone, and then a Dodge Clone (when you spec for it later on, at lvl 40, put 20 into Dueling and have Major Trait X) and typically use Sword skill 2 or the Staff's Chaos Storm, depending on what weapon I have and the situation. At lower lvls, I Mind Wracked when the targeted monster was 25-50%, usually allowing enough time for the Phantasm to do a second hit, and that would normally kill it. When the mobs started taking longer to kill, I used Cry of Frustration immediately after making 3 Clones, because multiple stacks of Confusion will start to do more damage than Mind Wrack, and then work on making another 3 Clones (I use Utility skill Mirror Images to make 2 more clones) to Mind Wrack. Signet of Illusions really helps letting the Illusions stay up longer till you're ready to Shatter them. Clones are weak hitters, but they'll still put conditions and Bleeds on crits.

I use Sword and Pistol, plus the Staff, for soloing. In Dungeons, I use Staff and Greatsword for the range. Staff is great, but I only use it for Champions and Dungeons, where the fights are longer and the Staff's slow burn is useful for the multiple conditions and boons. It's nice for also kiting large groups while soloing, dropping Chaos Storm and putting on Chaos Armor before switching back to S/P. The Greatsword is great for using in Dynamic Events by using the Phantasm at the edge or middle of a large group of mobs, so it'll hit most or all of the group, and then I usually summon another two Clones and Mind Wrack if the group of mobs is up long enough to do so. S/P just has a Phantasm that really packs a punch upfront and the Sword allows for AoE with the skill 2 that does some good AoE while having you Invulnerable for the duration (you can't move while it's channeling, though) and I dodge after it's done.

Torch, Sword, and Focus offhands I don't really care for, but there are plenty of people who like them better than the Pistol, so testing them out isn't a bad idea. The Focus has a nice Phantasm that does AoE and deflects projections, but you have to position is perfectly, as it'll only hit whatever is in melee range of it once it's summoned. I pretty much only use it for a quick speed buff.

Build while lvling: http://www.gw2db.com...|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|

Go into 20 Dueling as soon as you can, then fill 30 into Illusions as soon as you can. Having Phantasmal Fury in the Dueling tree helps with the 15 Dueling Minor Trait that grants Vigor on crits, but once you have the Inspiration tree's Major Trait III that grants Vigor when Illusions are Shattered, you can change Phantasmal Fury to Blade Training to use sword Skill 2 more often. Getting Illusionary Persona at 30 Illusions is pretty awesome, as you're considered an Illusion during Shatters as well, which helps with extra damage and Confusion stacks, and you can use your Daze or Distortion Shatters without a Clone out when you really need them. I used the Decoy Utility skill during lower lvls since I didn't use Cry of Confusion as much.

Current build at 80, from the video: http://www.gw2db.com...|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|

Basically the same as the lvling one, except different Major Traits. Remember to change Blade Training while in Dungeons to whatever you think will be more useful.

For stats, when it was just 2 stats on armor, I went with Power and Precision/Crit, since more crit chance means more Vigor buffs, and don't really worry about Vitality (for now) or Toughness as you'll be dodging and kiting around mobs for more Clones and usually mobs attack your Illusions first, plus lower mobs die faster. When it become 3 stats and Cry of Frustation was being used as the first Shatter, I changed to Carrion (Power, Vitality, Condition Damage) and the Vitality really helps with the very annoying horde of Risen in Orr, and use Superion Rune of the Undead for some Toughness and more Condition Damage. You'll probably want the Major Trait that gives Vigor on Shatters before dropping a lot of crit. I do have all my Jewelry and Weapons as Berserker's from an old armor set and I still do fine with survivability, but I could probably take on more mobs if I had them all as Carrion or Invader's (WvW vendors) instead.

Didn't mean for my post to be this long, but I hope that all helps.

Edited by CindyBunnie

Great post! Thanks for the insights into how you play. I'm still in the level 30s but have never viewed the clones as needing to be out for the duration. It is far too easy to create/replace them and as you stated, shattering them is important for great damage.

It's ok, not everyone is capable of mastering the chaotic, mind-bending power of the Mesmer profession.

I run a custom PVE build with 2 swords, sword/pistol, or sword/torch depending on the environment, and always with a staff to switch to when I need maximum survival. I went the tanky crithead route with power/toughness/precision gear and power/precision/crit weapons and accessories. I all but ignore conditions, and my build does not use them meaningfully. So I hit like a wet noodle or a mack truck, depending on RNG, and I've got the toughness and escapability to survive most of the pandemonium. Having a tank golem for an elite skill doesn't hurt either. I keep 3 illusions up if at all possible, and I use my shatters sparingly; usually for burst to finish off a mob. This build has been effective in allowing me to complete the Cursed Shore without ever "joining the zerg."

Here's a link to the build, I think...

http://www.gw2db.com/skills/calc/mesmer...