Kozak

Dungeon Runs?

I looked on the roster last night and quite a few of us are getting past 30 now. I was wondering if anyone is running dungeons yet? (Ascalon is the only one I know of). I haven't done any dungeons in beta, was trying to save up for the final release. So I am ready to jump in now.

Anyone willing to give a newbie a ride through one of them? Or partner up and try to discover it on our own?

A couple of questions for the vets.

1. How long does it take to clear a dungeon, time wise?

2. Is it lockable like WoW, that you can come back to a specific part of the dungeon?

3. Do monsters respawn in the dungeon, or once killed, stay killed?

4. Do you really not need a trinity in the dungeon? Aka, can 5 theives clear a dungeons as well as a defensive Guardian(tank), offensive War/Ranger/Theif(dps) and a water Elementalist(healer)?

5. Food buffs, but Roontek already answered that, thanks!

6. Any other advice?

Thanks guys

Alex (Kozak)

We ran it last night with 4 guildies and one pug. Took about 1.5 hours. Was fun and challenging. As you go waypoints unlock in the dungeon so you can run back to the fight without leaving the dungeon.

Not sure on lockouts

No respawns

You get 12.5 k exp and an orange hat for completing the story mode. lvl 30 +.

You can do story mode again, but you only get that reward once. Was a lot of fun. I would be up for it again.

I was a part of that group with Mushimu. Had a lot of fun! I'd be down to run it again, iirc, the exp was pretty good.

Seeing as this is the first dungeon, take advantage of your available skills and traits and try some different builds. It was a good way for me to test Beastmastery and I learned what I needed to fix/improve upon for higher lvl content.

As far as a trinity goes you don't need to have a 'tanky' spec guardian or warrior. The design of the game is such that you can bring any class/race combo and be able to clear it. I'm sure over the next year there will be guides on the 'preferred' specs to run with. However GW2 was designed to be different and by bringing different professions each time you go mixes it up, great for replayability.

I've read that most of the mess up groups had in Ascalon was people running into traps and standing in red circles instead of moving, rather than damage output from mobs. If that's the case then I see how trinity is not really needed. I always played tanks in EQ/WoW/Rift/GW1, but those games had agro holding skills. I don't see anything like that in GW2 and there is no way to hold agro. Basically whoever is the closest to the mob is the one that gets attacked is what I picked up on.

I was able to pull some agro from my son's theif when he had to run off and I leaped next to mobs and opened up with all the cool downs.

We just brought whoever was online, was lvl 30+ and willing to go.

Running dungeons really brings out the 'difficult to master' part of Guild Wars 2. With so many different profession combination possibilities and builds, player skill combined with excellent teamwork will shine. Striker and I briefly discussed our specs and how we would rotate our Call of the Wild skill, but other than that it was a learn as you go process for us. I really had a lot of fun.

A big part of success is being mindful of your entire party. Meaning, coordinate when you use cripple our chill skills, blinding skills, and party heal skills. Chaining blinding skills is a great way to mitigate a lot of damage. But if everyone tosses out their blinding skills all at once, someone is going to take a serious beating.

I can generally only run dungeons on weekends, so with any luck I'll be at level 30 or beyond.

Quick question: is there anything I need to know about traits concerning dungeons? I know that the stat increases give a basic idea of what a trait-line does, but I'm wondering what is or isn't useful for a dungeon.

Quick question: is there anything I need to know about traits concerning dungeons? I know that the stat increases give a basic idea of what a trait-line does, but I'm wondering what is or isn't useful for a dungeon.

That's the beauty of this game honestly, you are not pigeon hole'd into some specific build in order to accomplish the dungeon. Play according to your play style and most importantly, play what you enjoy. The skill really comes when you know how your team is spec'd and you adjust your skill usage to sync with theirs, creating combo fields, rotating buff skills, heals, ect..

One thig I found as a warrior. I did not need to be tanky. In our group we had 2 warriors. both dps, 2 hunters both with bear pets which did a lot of tanking for us. 1 Thief.

The skills you use in a group in a dungeon can be very different. I know mine will be next time. More group synergistic and less pew pew for me. Group buffs over self buffs. I have a banner I can throw down that revives all fallen group mates. I will be taking that for next time.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.