Jandar

Mumble Voice Server

We are proud to announce the creation of a new community voice server. Our site is now hosting its very own Mumble server. We'd like all members to utilize this new voice server as much as possible as a test to determine who well it works once a load is put onto it. The details to connect are below. The password can be obtained via a PM to any mod.

Download the client from here: http://mumble.sourceforge.net/ Make sure you download 1.2.3a.

Address: mormonbattalion.cc

Port: 64738

Username: Whatever you want

Password: contact a mod for the password

The client will require you to setup your own certificate. If you choose to "Register" your name, then this certificate must be installed on ANY computers you plan to connect from. The certificate acts as a form of authentication instead of utilizing a password. You can figure it out yourself by walking through the Certificate Wizard and exporting then importing your certificate.

Huzzah!

I've used each of the four major voice chat programs (Vent, TS, Axon, and Mumble) at some point in my gaming and Mumble is by far my favorite. Mumble feels like you're talking on the phone or something. There's almost no lag, and the overlay is the best thing ever.

For now I'm not inviting any friends onto this server since it's protected, but for testing and for future planning:

Will we be able to invite friends to use this server?

Only if they are in the Guild? Only if the server is below capacity? Will there be a system for guest passwords?

Just some thoughts.

-vazor

Once all of the bugs and kinks are worked out, you will be free to use the server with friends as long as it abides with our Code of Conduct... This will be strictly enforced on the voice server. We will be making several channels to use for your different applications. It is a 500 seat server, so unless we have trouble with the server overloading due to bandwidth ( I don't know if that is even possible), I can't see there being issues.

The only real issue would be if there were Code of Conduct violations, or if one of your friends started bringing over groups of their friends to use the server. We did have at least one problem in the past with an unwanted guest in voice chat and that is why we do not post the password information and instead request that you get it from one of us.

I just stumbled on this. I'm not sure the WoW players know about this. I think they are paying for a seperate Vent server. I will contact the officers and see if they want to switch over. They should, as it helps build community.

As an fyi, I've taken the liberty to cleanup this thread. I'd like to keep the thread short for all to quickly and easily find relevant information. Please feel free to continue to request the password in this thread, but just know that once the password is sent, the request will be removed.

Also, in addition to the standard channels we have setup in Mumble, I've granted the ability for all mumble users to create a temporary channel within a channel called Temp. When you create a temporary channel, any user can join your channel. The channel will be removed once the last person leaves the channel.

Jandar,

In the event that folks have difficulties or troubles using Mumble....would you be able to provide updates to your initial post in this thread as we go along with FAQ about how people get around any possible issues?

It would be great if there was a certain thread we could simply direct folks towards to help them with any potential issues. =)

Ya know, its nice to use Mumble to garner more support for guild related events and whatnot, but there been times where I've spoken there (and I rarely do, but when I do, that means I want to get involve in whatever the guild members are doing) where I've got ignored or was treated like I never spoke at all.  Times like those I don't feel like mumble is promoting unity.  In fact just happened today on a call to a party in Arah.  I even asked if people were just blatantly ignoring when I asked to go.  Then people just went on continuing to form the party as if I never spoke of all.  Needless to say, you don't treat people like that.

I apologize that that happened, fear not I am sure no offense is intended, but in MMO's  things like this are usually never intentional. MMORPG's are extraordinarily difficult to sometimes to read people. Also you may wish to check your MIC and make sure people can hear you, it may be that no one can hear you either.....so they don't that you are speaking.

Ya know, its nice to use Mumble to garner more support for guild related events and whatnot, but there been times where I've spoken there (and I rarely do, but when I do, that means I want to get involve in whatever the guild members are doing) where I've got ignored or was treated like I never spoke at all.  Times like those I don't feel like mumble is promoting unity.  In fact just happened today on a call to a party in Arah.  I even asked if people were just blatantly ignoring when I asked to go.  Then people just went on continuing to form the party as if I never spoke of all.  Needless to say, you don't treat people like that.

Xel, I can totally relate to you, being a foreigner in the exotic country and all :) One thing I did learn about being a foreigner in America is most people don't understand me, especially the first time I meet them. Also, when I get tired I lose the control of my language and make a lot of grammatical mistakes, making it harder for people to understand me.

I learned to cope with it by trying to speak slowly and repeating myself to those who would actually listen and also forgiving people who do not understand me. They are probably as awkward as you are because they are not sure how to react to what you have said. So many times I'd say something and people bluntly looking at me not sure if they should smile or nod or cry for me.

Another thing is a quite mic. Your mic is very soft and very hard to hear, on top of the accent it makes hard to understand you. If you need help adjusting the mic, I'd be more than happy to jump in a different channel with you and help you play with settings to make it louder. I think increasing the incoming volume on your mic would greatly help people understand you. Please don't take my direct approach offensively. Having an accent makes you very unique and everyone knows your name without wondering who said what :)

The soft mic was a problem for Mushi as well and I bugged him for a month until he finally did something and fixed it, now we have to listen to him blabber on.....sorry, it was my fault :)

Another thing about clique or groups in mumble/game that I would like to address with everyone comes from the old saying "If you want to have a friend, be a friend". Most people aren't motivated enough to get things going, so if you don't see groups starting, be a leader and start a group. Advertise in /guild chat and on mumble and most likely you will fill the group very quickly. It doesn't matter if you don't know the dungeon/fractal, most of the time you will have someone in the group who knows enough to get in to trouble or if not, then it's a blast to learn and explore.

I've grouped with you many many times and always happy to have you in a group. You are a great team player and know the strat and don't mind wiping (agro quitting).

MoB is a wonderful community of very friendly people, you guys handle conflicts really well, the best I have ever seen in my gaming career and I am very glad everyone speaks up about small conflicts which bug people. It's good to work on this together as a group and make sure everyone is accepted regardless of race, background or accent (thank Goodness for me! ha ha).

Andy, you need to click on New and create a new server, after you do so, it will be under your Favorites list.

This is the info you need to create a new server and I will PM you the password:

Address: mormonbattalion.cc
Port: 64738
Username: Whatever you want (ex: Andy)
Password: contact a mod for the password