Brock

Need Book Recommendations

So I downloaded the preview chapters of "The Name of the Wind" on iBooks. It started out rather interesting. It is checked out and reserved for the next millenium at the library, and Barnes and Noble was sold out. The iBook version was too much. I downloaded the preview of "A Game of Thrones" it was great. I found the first four books of the series at Costco for $20, so I picked them up. The series is amazing. It is very detailed, and makes you feel for the characters. You will hate a character one chapter, and then decide that maybe he isn't so bad in the next, once you find out more about the person. I love all of the political intrigue and the new world that Martin created. But, like Maven said, it would probably be the equivalent of a rated R movie. So it's not one I can recommend to everyone.

Hopefully by the time I finish this series, "Name of the Wind" will be available because I really want to finish that.

I'd like to thank bobbydjinn for recommending The Name of the Wind--you are responsible for my extreme lack of sleep today! I am really glad the second book is out and I don't have to wait four years for it. I am a little apprehensive though; it does indeed have some mixed reviews and evidently it still leaves a lot of questions unanswered.

Well worth the sacrifice of a few nights' sleep. Do I get a cookie or something for the recommendation?

If you were close to Dayton, Ohio, I'd give you a cookie. :) And it was just one night's sleep...once I started it I had to finish it!

Well worth the sacrifice of a few nights' sleep. Do I get a cookie or something for the recommendation?

And Dresden only gets better from there. You can really see Butcher grow into a stronger and more seasoned author through the Dresden series.

Someone already mentioned Brandon Sanderson in the first page of the thread and I'll echo that. Mistborn is a fantastic trilogy, Elantris is a stand alone novel, and his Alcatraz series is hysterical and perfect for reading aloud with your kids if you can keep from giggling too much. His latest book Way of Kings is pretty epic and is the start of a very cool long series. the author is also LDS, and his books are all clean.

im currently reading book 10 of the dresden series.

ive read the codex alera series that someone recomended on this forums and i thought id read more of jim butcher.

the dresden series are a realy good read.

Well, after taking a look at my bookshelf I have a... few more recommendations. :eat:

Glen Cook's Black Company is military fantasy at its best, dark and gritty.

Mercedes Lackey's Joust is a great trilogy about dragons, slavery, corruption, and dragons. (Did I mention the dragons?)

And pretty much anything by David Gemmell (except for Lion of Macedon and the next book, trust me) is going to give you a sweet last stand and interesting characters.

If you are reading the Game of Thrones series, don't become too attached to any characters My favorite authors are hands down Patrick Rothfuss and Brandon Sanderson. I even went so far as to have Patrick autograph some books for me. I have one that says, "No, the name of the wind is not Bob, stop writing me! Patrick Rothfuss." And the amount of material Brandon Sanderson keeps putting out is astounding, especially considering every series has a different magic system, every one unique, and that somehow his books are all tied in together in the same universe.

Many other good books and series have also been mentioned.

Neil Gaimon is another favorite, but some of his books are very gritty and vulgar. If you like them clean, I would avoid American Gods.

I also really enjoyed I am number Four.

I even went so far as to have Patrick autograph some books for me. I have one that says, "No, the name of the wind is not Bob, stop writing me! Patrick Rothfuss."

Oh, now that's hilarious! :D Classic!

If you like reading Fantasy I have to say Brandon Sanderson is probably the best author writing today. The level of depth to his characters and the amount of character development they go through throughout the course of his books is really extensive. As a cherry on top he is LDS so you don't have to worry about happening upon a sex scene. If you do decide to read his books I suggest starting with the Mystborn Trilogy then read Elantris, Warbreaker and The Way of Kings.

Another great book series is the Runelords books by David Farland.

R.A. Salvatores the Cleric Quintet is good, As well as tales of the spear wielder and the Echoes of the fourth magic series. Also his Demon Apostle series is very well written. Salvatore is a great author but I feel he did continue writing Drizzt books a little too long. He should of probably retired him after 12 ish books.

The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan is currently being finished by Brandon Sanderson. These books will always hold a special place in my heart as I read the first one when I was 12. Countless conversations with strangers, girlfriends, friends and family members a like. It will be a bitter sweet moment this November when I finally sit down to read the final book of this 14 Book series. It will be the last time I read about characters that have been like old friends to me for the better part of 2 decades. It will be odd to finally say good bye to them for the last time.

I suggest steering clear of Stephen Eriksons, Malazan tales of a fallen empire series, the graphic depictions of horrible depravities in that series will quickly chase the spirit from your heart.

I feel the same way about the wheel of time i was around 14 when I started reading them and have read almost all of them three times but I have always burrowed from the library and it seems everyone is where I am in the series book eight.

The best series I've read recently is "The First Law Trilogy" by Joe Abercrombie. The characters are magnificent, and the way he uses stereotypical archetypes and then turns them on their heads is truly amazing. The books are not for the 13 age group, but they are less raw than the George R.R. Martin novels imho. Both Brooks and Jordan stole from Tolkein, but before you starting thinking "oh this character is gandalf, and that character is aragorn" wait until the end of the first novel before you make such allocations. :)

I love talking books, so Im dragging this topic back up! My first true love was Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time. The series will be winding up later this year. Brandon Sanderson -a great LDS writer- will be finishing the series. If you want to look into Sanderson, Id recomment the Mistborn trilogy or The Way of Kings. Since you have read The Hunger Games -which is still on my list of will reads- you may not be unwilling to dive into some young adult literature. I found Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series a great read. Paolini's Eragon series starts out strong, but fails to deliver in the end IMO.

Of course, if you haven't read Lord of the Rings, and can get past the first several chapters, it's an amazing read. The first 2 books of Goodkind's Sword of Truth are amazing, but after that the series gets drawn out and there is too much sexual deviance for my taste. But, you can just treat those first 2 books as a standalone if you want to. Anyways, I could fill out pages, but I will stop there.

I read the Sword of Truth series and I really liked it. There are some really sick, twisted and deranged "scenes". One of them being in Wizard's First Rule (1st book). It was so disturbing that I yelled at my bro for recommending the books to me. And yes there is a lot of sexual deviance. On the other hand the story IS really good. It's got a little of everything. Action, mystery, drama, romance. IMO I think Terry Goodkind's writing is quite sophisticated. Much better than say Anne McCaffrey whose series' I love.

Alright, since I haven't seen them recommended yet, I'll mention a few good books I know of.

Firstly, I don't know if the trilogy has a name per se, but the books in said trilogy are (in order) Dragon Slippers, Dragon Flight, and Dragon Spear, all by Jessica Day George. If you like dragons, highly recommended.

A book series that currently has a good starting book (second is due in August) is Michael Vey by Richard Paul Evans. More of a modern-day sci-fi book, just for your information. While I personally felt the start was a tad slow, it picks up steam INSANELY FAST in the second half!

Sword of Truth is sounding interesting. I have got a few of those recommendations.

I am not against young adult books, like Hunger Games, which, in my opinion, isn't a book I would recommend for many young adults as it is pretty intense. I just don't like it when the book reads at a 7th grade level and stars an awkward hero who is in love with a beautiful girl of a higher social standing. Which seems to be the case 9 times out of 10. The only time that story line worked for me was in Raymond Feist's Riftwar Saga where it starts out like that, but then goes a completely different direction.

Funny you'd mention that, Brock, because that's sort of why I consider the first bits of Michael Vey to be slow. Granted... that disolves quickly once the second half hits. Also what sort of happened with the Dragon Slippers books, but in that series dragons distract from the boy/girl side-story (and thank goodness; I love the dragon characters!). Always helpful to have action and humor to distract from pointless love interests. :D

Hunger Games may be young adult but it is violent and dark. I won't let my daughter read it yet (she's 12) even though she is getting some peer pressure to do so. Great book nonetheless, but I think it's more appropriately older young adult.

i agree about the hunger games but at the same time I think Suzanne Collins did every good with the books. With what happens in the book, it could have been alot darker and worse then it is.

Killashandra, yeah, I bet that you are referring to the molten metal scene from book 1. I dont know what demons Goodkind has, but that scene surely brings them out to play :devil: . On the other hand, that series did keep me glued to my couch for a month straight. I kept telling my wife that if something bad happens to Kahlan that Id drop the story right there and burn the novels. I wont spoil things for others and say whether or not I got out a lighter and gaoline.

About Percey Jackson, I think the movie is pretty misleading. Percey and Annabeth meet for the first time when they are much younger, and there is not any instant crush, nor does anyone get strung along like in the end of the film.